Thursday, October 9, 2014

Much needed perspective

So, there is this thing about being an adult. It seems (at least at times) to provide the slightest edge in perspective. It allows one to see things as they couldn't through younger eyes.

Now, I am most certainly not claiming to be mature. Nor am I claiming to always present myself as an adult. But I am on the verge of 30 and that counts for something. (Right?)

In the past month, I have found myself in the midst of family. Family that I hadn't quite seen. Not at least for who they really are.

Because I have a big family. There are SO many of them. And they are loud and crazy and love to have fun.

I have always known that.

And I have always enjoyed being around them. Holidays spent with them have always been a blast. Something I looked forward to all year.

But this month, I have seen deeper. I have been confronted with who they really are. How they REALLY love. And honestly I couldn't be more thankful.

It began with a weekend in Galveston.

Despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of my family was not present for the weekend, there was much talk them. Old stories from college. Memories of holidays and trips. Hilarious conversations relived. Choices made along the way.

One theme made its way throughout all of the words spoken: our family is weird.

Weird because they get along.

They enjoy being around each other.

And sadly that makes my big 'ol family quite strange. And I didn't quite realize it until I heard all the stories. How truly connected my family is to each other. How much they know about each other and how often they CHOOSE to be around each other. On vacations. And girl's trips. And at football games. And on the phone. And in group texts. And on and on.

And honestly this shouldn't be surprising to me. Because they have always been nothing short of wonderful. But life has been busy and somehow I have missed the fullness of it. I haven't opened these brown eyes wide enough to take in how sweet family is. How incredible it is that mine is so close. How beyond our culture that is.

And it is such a gift.

Because there is this thing about having a weird family. They pride themselves on supporting each other. They want to know about all the things going on in your life. They desire to be present. They choose to be a part.

And this makes time with family all the more sweet.

And I am praying that I never forget how good I have it. How very lucky I am to be surrounded by a group of people who love big and hold tight.

And as the season of thanksgiving peeks its head around the corner, I am praising my Father for them. All of them. Because family is good. And I most certainly have the best.

This lady is seriously the cutest Mimi around.

My little ring bearer. Not so little anymore.

JDRF Walk with aunts and cousins (and friends).

This is one of my favs due to the mischievous faces my cousins are making in the background.
Many more pictures to come when I can get my hands on some family albums. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment